While the winter weather seems to be giving everyone a break this week, Boston Babies continues to think of family friendly activities to enjoy this season. Whether it’s rainy and raw or blustery with snow, spending a day making pancakes and seeing polar bears is the perfect way to entertain both you and your little one on even the dreariest of days.
Let your munchkin help you make a healthy alternative to this recipe, by substituting white flour with whole wheat flour, and add some fun by using seasonal pancake molds, offered at Williams-Sonoma!
See below for recipe details courtesy of Williams- Sonoma,and get cooking with your own little cub:
*Note options for healthier substitutions
▪ 2 eggs
*can substitute with egg beaters
▪ 2 cups of all-purpose flour, sifted
*can substitute with whole wheat flour
▪ 3 tbs. of sugar
▪ 2 tsp. of baking powder
▪ 1 tsp. of baking soda
▪ 1 tsp. of salt
▪ 2 1/4 cups of buttermilk
▪ 4 tbs. of unsalted butter, melted
*can substitute with margarine
▪ 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract
▪ 1-2 tbs. of vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray
*Williams-Sonoma Bak-Klene, fat free, 0 calorie cooking spray works very well
▪ Additional Options:
Serve blueberries, strawberries, bananas, granola, and/or chocolate chips in or on side of pancakes
1. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed until frothy.
2. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt (optional), buttermilk, butter and vanilla.
3. Stir just until the batter is smooth and no lumps of flour remain; do not overbeat.
4. Stir in any additional ingredients (suggested: 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or fruit)
▪ Take this as a good time to have some fun with your food. Test out Williams-Sonoma seasonal pancake molds.
▪ Heat a griddle over medium-high heat until a few drops of water flicked onto the surface skitter across it.
▪ Lightly grease the griddle.
If using pancake molds:
▪ Generously use Williams-Sonoma’s Bak-Klene non-stick cooking spray on the inside of the molds.
▪ Set the molds on the griddle and heat until hot.
▪ Slowly pour pancake mix in to molds, using a tablespoon, filling the molds just half way. Less is more in this case and will still produce a fluffy buttermilk pancake that is just a little easier to flip.
▪ Cook until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, about 2 minutes.
▪ Remove the molds and, using a spatula, flip the pancakes (a butter knife is helpful in gently cutting pancake away from sides of molds should they stick.)
Boston Babies At A Glance:
Save the Date for Boston Babies’ 3rd Annual Make Way for Ducklings Brunch Event, taking place Sunday, April 7th at The Four Seasons Hotel, Boston. Details to come later this month…
Also keep your eyes open this month and learn how to enjoy a night out with your spouse or finish decompressing from the holiday frenzy with the help of UrbanSitter’s unique and reliable babysitting service. Check out their Speed-Sitting Event this on January 29th!
Look out for Boston Babies’ next foodie find at Addis Red Sea, and try a new restaurant with your whole family. Read a post on 50 Shades of Grey, discussing whether it’s message is uninhibited or unhealthy and how young girls view body image and self esteem.
Stay tuned to Boston Babies for additional best practices and family friendly events and suggestions to enjoy this season. You can also “Like” Boston Babies on Facebook and follow via Twitter @boston_babies to receive a daily dose of best practices, where to shop/what to buy and activities taking place in and around the city.